Planning For A New Winery or Brewery Commercial Construction Project?
If you’re growing your business into its first building or expanding your current operation into a larger building, we’re expert winery and brewery builders that are here to help!
At Conestoga, we’ve worked with winery and brewery owners, discussing the details of their goals for their new building. Many are interested in multi-purpose spaces that allow for expansion and the creation of customer experiences while others need additional production room–quick–because of rapid growth. In this blog, we hope to provide a glimpse into the process of planning for a new winery or brewery, based on our past experiences.
Building Size & Use
We suggest you ask yourself a few important questions as you plan for a new winery building or brewery, such as:
- How much production do you plan to do in the next 10 years?
- Are you looking to do an addition to an existing building?
- Do you want to build based on future demand or expansion?
- Will you have a tasting room, lounge, or retail store included in this building?
- Do you need support for crop handling or other agricultural uses?
- Do you want to use the location as a venue for large events?
- Do you plan to offer food?
As you can imagine, depending on the answers you have to these questions, your building plans may change. From adding a kitchen for food preparation to making sure the space accommodates your occupancy needs, knowing how you’ll utilize your building to its full extent is imperative for success and future growth.
Once you choose an architect and builder (Conestoga Buildings can do this!), you can focus on achieving the look-and-feel you want. There are some specific ideas that will aid in capturing your vision–whether you’re creating an elegant, upscale experience or casual, relaxed atmosphere.
Exterior Design Ideas – “As visitors approach your building, first impressions matter.”
- Dimensional architecture
- Stone veneer
- Timber frame
- Thick columns
- Patio with bar and seating area
- Attractive exterior lighting
- Colors that complement the “look-and-feel”
Interior Design & Atmosphere Ideas – “Engage all their senses; appealing to their natural instincts. ”
- Exposed beams
- Clear, wide-open space
- Attractive accent walls or wall art
- Variety of seating options
- Multiple finish options for easy cleaning and sustainability
- Warm lighting from eye-catching fixtures
- Unique wine bottle presentation
- Appropriate background music
If you are someone who is committed to being environmentally friendly or just want to find ways to save money overtime, you may consider some of the following ideas:
- Choosing pre-engineered post frame or steel materials reduces material waste, allows for faster construction and is cost-effective.
- Collecting and filtering rainwater is just a simple way to utilize what’s given to us by Mother Nature.
- Installing solar panels can decrease operating costs, are virtually maintenance-free and lowers your carbon footprint.
- Opting for metal roofing (that’s painted with infrared reflecting paint) reduces cooling costs since it prevents heat absorption.
- Creating underground barrel storage allows natural evaporation and maturation, without the need for a humidifier. It also prevents extreme temperature fluctuations. (Consider designing your building with production in the basement and retail store or other social areas above.)
Our team at Conestoga can work with you no matter what design ideas you have. Often times, as you speak to with a building consultant, you will discover other ideas or options for your building that you may not have thought of! We’re here to find the best solution for your project and create an attractive and functional design. Contact us today to start the process!